Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cringe Worthy . . . in a good way

My cousin's friend, Sarah Brown, just wrote and published a book titled "Cringe". It is a compilation of old diary and journal entries that were written when she was a tween- hence the Cringe title-with personal commentary written from her current 31 year old perspective.

GREAT idea for a book, I am totally going to amazon.com it. I can't imagine what I would have written at the age of 13, oh the drama of teen-hood.

Sarah Brown, the author, is an incredibly humorous, NYC based, blogger who was picked up due to the heavy traffic her blog received (see Michelle, it could happen to you!) She also hosts an open mic night in NYC where people can come read excerpts from their own childhood diaries.

Being behind the times, I just discovered Sarah's blog today, and have spend the better half of my working morning reading the archives and stifling my laughter so neighboring cubes can't hear me.

Here is one of my favorite entries:

Like the gaping maw of gray forever

Few things are sadder than the sight of a thin gold anklet trapped beneath a suntan-colored nylon. And not sad like watching The English Patient on a couch next to a fire while it snows sad, sad like it’s cold but also humid and your mom didn’t wake you up in time to wash your hair and you’re waiting for your grandma in her empty beauty shop on the other side of town and there’s no magazines on the table and you have a hangnail you’ve picked at til it’s bleeding and even though you have the day off of school, it doesn’t matter because no boy will ever like you.


SO FUNNY! Check it out if you want a good laugh.

2 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

What I aspire to become!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the book plug and kind words! Any relation to Albee & Maria is a friend of mine.