Monday, March 17, 2008

soups up!



Maholla-

First- CONGRATS to Anne for getting in to Seattle University's Law School!!!!!! Max, Anne, Alex and I celebrated with some yummy Zoka pie Friday night!

Alex's friends Curtis and Trumi invited us over for dinner Saturday night. Trumi is from Japan, and is an amazing chef. Every time they invite us over for dinner Trumi make a traditional Japanese dish for us to try. On Saturday night she made a wonderful soup . . . . I wish I could remember the name! The broth is placed in a giant communal pot that sits on a small propane burner right on the table. Throughout the meal Trumi would place different foods in to the broth, closing the lid for a few minutes to cook before opening it up again and serving it in our individual bowls. The soup had cabbage, noodles, cod, pork, tofu, etc. It was really amazing!


Along with dinner, we sipped on some very fine Sake. Trumi's brother had brought it over from Japan a few months ago, so we were treated to a very well refined and flavorful sake. My experience drinking sake in the past was nothing like this- there was NO burning on the throat at all. In fact, I was told I had probably been drinking the equivalent of "maddog" in the sake world if I felt burning-haha. This was very smooth and good. So good in fact, we stayed out too late and didn't make it up skiing! Oh well, I will take a hot bowl of soup over a cold snowy mountain any day!

Happy St. Patricks Day! Hope everyone has a good Monday!

2 comments:

Carla said...

When I had "real" sake for the first time, I was like, "oh, so THIS is what it's supposed to taste like." Delicious!

Alice said...

Tell Anne congrats for me!