Friday, March 28, 2008

Life is a CABARET old chum


Maholla Peeps-


Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome!


My mom and I celebrated her birthday at the 5
th Avenue Theater last night where we caught the opening night performance of CABARET. As described by the man we eavesdropped on during intermission- "I just adore it, ADORE IT" We couldn't have agreed more. It was amazing, one of the best musicals I've seen there. The cast was phenomenal, not a weak link on stage. My favorite character was the Emcee, who was a constant humorous on stage taking you from scene to scene.

I have never seen the movie, but I have been told the stage version of Cabaret varies from the Liza Minnelli screen adaption a bit. I was also unaware that it was such a political musical. Cabaret takes place in Berlin, Germany during the lead up to Nazi rule and World War II. It follows the life of a young,
naive American man who travels to Berlin to write a novel. He meets a girl at the Cabaret, and before you know it they are living the party scene and the novel is all but forgotten. You also see another love story develop between their elder landlord and a Jewish fruit seller. Just when everything seems to be going perfectly the Nazi's show themselves more prominently. Soon the parties and innocent lifestyles become immersed in Nazi culture, and the Cabaret ceases to exist. It actually ends kinda sad, you are the audience know what tragedy lies ahead with World War II, yet the Germans and Jewish-Germans still have so much hope that things will turn around. They never believe their country could turn on its own people, after all, they are Germans.

If you get the chance to see this musical-
definitely take it. It has great song and dance numbers, especially the girls and guys from the the kit-kat club (scandal)!!! What a fun night!

Have a great Friday everyone!

4 comments:

Grassyllama said...

Sounds like so much fun! Wish I could have been there with you.

Unknown said...

What a hoot!!! Sounds like it was a great night!!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I've never seen it before! Looks like it was a great show!

Nancy said...

Nice write-up; it was such a treat. Thanks for making my birthday so fun. I ADORED it, I did!