Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mercer Island 1/2 Marathon

Maholla peeps-

Last Sunday Alex and I ran the Mercer Island half marathon. This the second 1/2 we've run together. Last time, we trained by running 5 days a week, but only for about 3-4 miles. This time, we ran 3-4 times a week, but usually at least two of those runs were 6+ miles. It was our little experiment, comparing distance vs frequency. Lucky for us, our long runs paid off because we both had much better runs this time around!

Alex ran it in 1:40, and I ran it in 1:54. I beat my time by about 8-9 min, so it was a VERY good run for me. I do have to give a little shout out to cliff shots. I ate (drank) one of these around mile 7, and I just FLEW for the next 3-4 miles. I took another at mile 11 to help me with the final push. It REALLY made a difference. Alex and I both played it safe early on, and then stepped our pace up significantly around mile 6-7. Even though we didn't run together (hence the time difference), we applied the same strategy to our run- must have been all the training we did together! Or great minds thinking alike.

Max and Anne came and met us at the finish line. It was SO nice of them. The weather was drizzly, and it was early, but it really is GREAT to see people you know cheering you on.

Hopefully I will have ugly, red-faced running pictures of myself to post up soon!

Here are the UGLY running pics as promised . . . actually Alex looks like a real runner, I look like I'm DYING- haha



4 comments:

Grassyllama said...

I look forward to the ugly running pics! It's rare that an ugly pic of someone can make me feel bad about myself, but marathon pics are an exception. You and Alex really are an inspiration for me to get off my lazy arse!

Congrats on having such a great time! HUBBA

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Wow you're fast! Nice work, I'll have to remember the shot strategy for my half in June!

Francie said...

nice pics!! way to go on the times - that's sooooooo fast! love the blogging - really putting the pressure on us slackers to step it up!

Unknown said...

you guys look great! those are such fast times. way to go!